Simple Sweet Potato Chicken Curry
- Two tsp. curry powder
- 1tsps. ground coriander
- 1tsps. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground red pepper
- Two bay leaf
- 1 ½ tsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds skinless & boneless chicken breast and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 ½ tsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
- Two garlic cloves, minced
- One can of the fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth makes about 14 ounces
- One can diced tomatoes makes about 14 ounces
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
- ¾ cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 1tsps. fresh lemon juice
1) First of all in a small bowl combine the curry powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, black pepper, red pepper, and bay leaf.
2) Then heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan; sauté the chicken for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
3) Remove chicken from the pan. Reduce heat to medium. Then add onions to the pan; cook for about 10 minutes or until tender, while stirring frequently.
4) Now increase heat to a medium-high; return chicken to the pan with onions. Cook for about 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. Stir in the ginger and garlic; cook for another 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
5) Add the curry powder mixture; cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Now add broth and tomatoes, and heat it to bring it to a boil. Cover the pot while reducing the heat to a slow flame, and let it simmer for 1 hour.
6) Now stir in potato and chickpeas. Cook it while uncovered for 30 minutes. Add the peas, and cook it for a further 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
7) Remove from heat; stir it in lemon juice and discard the bay leaf. Serve hot.
CHICKEN CURRY WITH CAULIFLOWER & SWEET POTATOES
Another variant of Sweet Potato Chicken Curry
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Chicken Curry:
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Two tsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- Eight boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- One tsp. Salt
- One tsp. Pepper
- One finely diced small onion
- Three cloves of minced garlic
- Four tsp. grated ginger
- 3 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. dried coriander
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- One bottle of about 680ml tomato puree
- One medium sweet potato which should be peeled and diced into 1/3-inch cubes
- One can of lite coconut milk about 400 ml
- One medium cauliflower head cut into small florets (about 6-8 cups)
- One head of rainbow chard
- Sea salt and cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup pistachios,
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- quinoa (optional)
1) Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add one teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil.
2) Season the chicken using salt & pepper and sear on both sides. Add chicken to the skillet and sear it until golden brown, will take about 3 minutes on each side. Once it turns golden brown, transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
3) Return the pan to medium heat and add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil. Add the onions and sauté until they begin to soften about 5-7 minutes. Then add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Stir it until fragrance appears for about 30 seconds.
4) Next, add in the tomato puree and the sweet potatoes, cover the pan using a lid and simmer for seven to eight minutes for softening the sweet potato pieces.
5) Then nestle in the chicken thighs. Add the cauliflower; rainbow chard stems and then pour in the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper.
6) Cover the pan using a lid & cook until the cauliflower & sweet potato softens, & the chicken thighs are cooked with the internal temperature of 165- 175 F, for about 5-7 minutes.
7) Remove the lid and then stir in the frozen edamame and rainbow Swiss chard leaves. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
8) Cover the pan using the lid again, until everything wilts.
9) Turn heat off and lay the curry on a bed of quinoa, and garnish with golden raisins, crushed pistachios, and coriander. Serve hot.